Tuesday 23 April 2013

How to find hostname from ip address in Windows?

Recently, I came across a problem of finding a hostname from ip address. Basically I needed to find who made an api call within our network (LAN). The solution turned out to be rather too simple. Here is what you need to do.


  1. From Start Menu, navigate to Command Prompt. ( Keyboard shortcut is Ctrl + R, then type cmd and press Enter )
  2. Type nbtstat -A <ip_address> and press Enter.
  3. You will see a table with name,type and status. Just look in the name column and Bingo.
Now here is the interesting bit. If your target machine is not using Windows then you would see nothing. In my case it was only one machine not using Windows so I was able to identify it quite easily.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment